Learn English in the UK or in your own countryspacerUK courses and qualifications in the UK or in your own countryspacerThe best of British arts, media and designspacerPromoting British expertise in science, engineering, technology, environment and healthspacerGovernance and the rights of peoplespacerLibraries, information centres, seminars,  knowledge networks and the information society
What is the British Council?spacerVisit our worldwide network of officesspacerRead all about our collaborative workspacerFind our services, departments, libraries, personnel, etc.

The British Council home page
PROGRAMMESAPPLICATION FORMSABOUT USNOTICE BOARDEURODESKPARTNER SEARCHWHAT'S NEWREGIONAL CONTACTSLINKS
 










 


Group Initiatives are projects devised, managed and operated by young people aged between 15 and 25. Successful applicants must show they meet the following criteria:

Projects are youth-led and managed by young people (Youth workers or another adult can assist but this must diminish as the project progresses);
Projects should take place within their local community and respond to the needs and interests of that community;
Projects may help young people develop and gain skills which will help them in their working life;
Projects should have at least 4 participants;
Projects should encourage equal opportunities and co-operation;
Projects should have a "European Dimension";
Projects should show a potential for networking and establishing partnerships with like-minded groups throughout Europe;
Projects should last between three months and one year.

Successful applicants can receive up to 10,000 euros. The grant depends upon the area of priority in which the project falls.

Priority 1 projects are devised and managed by young people with fewer opportunities (from a less-privileged cultural, geographical or socio-economical background) and which benefit the local community where they take place. These projects can receive up to a maximum of 10,000 euros.

Priority 2 projects are devised and managed by and young people and must benefit young people that benefit the young people with less opportunities (from a less-privileged cultural, geographical or socio-economic background). These can receive up to a maximum of 7,500 euros.

Priority 3 projects are devised and managed by any young people where the project will be of benefit to the members of the group. These can receive up to a maximum of 5,000 euros.

Connect Youth has a UK network of twelve Committees. Each Committee has two Youth Initiative Assessors. Applicants send their proposals to Connect Youth International in the first instance where they are processed and then copied to the relevant Regional Assessor.

Following discussions with the young people, Assessors write an evaluation of the project and sends it to Connect Youth International. Here, the Selection Panel looks at the application and the evaluation before making a recommendation for funding. These are sent to the European Commission for final confirmation. Successful applicants are paid 75% of their grant in advance and the remaining 25% on receipt of a successfully completed Final Report Form assuming all audit requirements have been met.

How to apply
Download a copy of the application form or contact us.
Completed application forms should be sent to Connect Youth at the address below.

Deadlines for application
7 January Applications to reach Connect Youth International
1 February European Commission deadline
  For activity beginning between 1 May 2001 and 30 September 2001
1 March Applications to reach Connect Youth International
1 April European Commission deadline
  For activity beginning between 1 July 2001 and 30 November 2001
1 May Applications to reach Connect Youth International
1 June European Commission deadline
  For activity beginning between 1 September 2001 and 31 January 2002
1 August Applications to reach Connect Youth International
1 September European Commission deadline
  For activity beginning between 1 December 2001and 30 April 2002
1 October Applications to reach Connect Youth International
1 November European Commission deadline
  For activity beginning between 1 February 2002 and 30 June 2002

For further information, contact:

Connect Youth
British Council
10 Spring Gardens
London SW1A 2BN

Telephone +44 (0) 20 7389 4030
Fax +44 (0) 20 7389 4033
E-mail connectyouth.enquiries@britishcouncil.org

 

 

© British Council, the United Kingdom's international organisation for educational and cultural relations. We are registered in England as a Charity.
Our privacy statement