Learn English in the UK or in your own countryspacerUK courses and qualifications in the UK or in your own countryspacerThe best of British arts, media and designspacerPromoting British expertise in science, engineering, technology, environment and healthspacerGovernance and the rights of peoplespacerLibraries, information centres, seminars,  knowledge networks and the information society
What is the British Council?spacerVisit our worldwide network of officesspacerRead all about our collaborative workspacerFind our services, departments, libraries, personnel, etc.
The British Council home page
UK higher education system

School education

Further education

Higher education

Funding and management

Quality assurance

Teacher education




All UK post-school courses above GCE Advanced level ('A-level') or Scottish Highers standard, are classified as higher education. Courses are available at universities, colleges and institutions of higher education.

If you need further information about obtaining funding for higher education for yourself, please view our Sources of funding for international students section.

  © British Council, the United Kingdom's international organisation for educational and cultural relations. We are registered in England as a Charity.
Our privacy statement