The A.S. Hornby Educational Trust annually provides one scholarship for long term studies in Britain at Masters level. Announcement of scholarship will be forwarded by the British Council to institutions between February and March. Applicants must be nominated by institutions and will be competing with others for funding world-wide. Short-listed candidate/s will be interviewed and selected candidates' applications will be forwarded to UK for final placement. Placement to UK universities is conditional up on obtaining an IELTS of 6.5.
Criteria for selecting candidates:
- They should be young, keen and innovative staff within the institution
- They should hold a BA degree in English and have been practising teachers at least for the last three years
- They should have, or be likely to have in future, a significant influence on English language teaching, ELT network activities in the region and the country, research and development of ELT materials at regional and national level, i.e. beyond their own institution.
- They should have the potential to contribute to the social and economic development of the country on their return
- They should have a demonstrable need for further training or overseas exposure
- The type of training required should be clearly defined
- They should be between the ages of 25 and 40.
Candidates' applications should be accompanied by their full CV, evidence of their qualifications, details of the type of training required and how their proposed study in Britain will help them with the work they expect to do on their return home, and an official letter of support from the employing institution. Accompanying should also be one recent photograph and two academic references in the form of written testimonials addressed to the British Council and NOT marked “To Whom It May Concern”.
For more details, please contact:
Dr. Solomon Hailu: Head, English Language Services